Australian aid is invested in sectors that drive economic growth, trade and job creation. The program delivers activities that boost agricultural productivity, improve the management of the extractives sector, and build skills and knowledge in public policy.
While the development assistance predominantly focuses on the Indian Ocean region (Eastern and Southern Africa), Australia’s development cooperation with Africa seeks to make a practical and unique contribution by focusing on sectors where Australia has experience and expertise and is best able to make a difference.
Australia’s development assistance to Africa is therefore focused on building human resource capacity in the following sectors:
- Agriculture, fisheries and water
- Building resilience: humanitarian assistance, disaster risk reduction and social protection
- Education and health
- Effective governance: policies, institutions and functioning economies
- Gender equality and empowering women and girls
- Infrastructure, trade facilitation and international competitiveness