Australia Awards promotes equal access and opportunity for all applicants, including those living with HIV. If you are successful, you will need to consider and plan (as you do back at home) on self-managing your condition while in Australia.
After you disclose your condition, you will be advised of options to consider for managing your condition in Australia (accessing medication and treatment). Disclosure is encouraged for the purposes of developing a support plan for you while living in Australia. Any personal information you provide us is protected by the Australian Privacy Act and will not be shared without your consent. The Overseas Student Health Cover usually has a waiting period during which pre-existing medical conditions are not covered.
For further information please read the Australia Awards – HIV and AIDS guidelines
Visit these websites for more information:
- OSHC: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/content/overseas+student+health+cover+faq-1
- Travelling with Medicine into Australia: www.tga.gov.au/consumers/personal-importation-scheme.htm https://www.tga.gov.au/travellers-visitors
- Cancer: www.cancer.org.au
- Diabetes: www.diabetesaustralia.com.au
- HIV: napwa.org.au www.afao.org.au
- Glaucoma: www.glaucoma.org.au