The course develops participants’ skills and knowledge in the following ways:
- Designing and managing small scale irrigation and water harvesting projects integration watershed management and planning
- Political and organisational challenges to developing and managing water resource management understanding current soil and water conservation and conservation agriculture best practice approaches such as:
- enhancing soil water retention and availability as well as soil fertility
- Small scale mechanisation and tillage equipment: zero tillage
- Residue retention
- Weed control
- Design principles of water harvesting systems
- Selecting water harvesting techniques suitable for small holder Irrigation
- Irrigation scheduling to match crop water requirements and soils
- Implementing irrigation systems best suited to small scale farmer needs
- Practical water spreading and contour furrowing training
- Reducing evaporation losses and optimising the use of soil moisture.
- Broader leadership and organisational management competencies to include project management, implementing change and public speaking
- Addressing cross-cutting development issues (gender equity, inclusive development, ethics, transparency)
Inputs from industry to highlight/demonstrate contemporary industry environments/ processes and share knowledge are a valuable element of this short course.